Sunday 12 July 2015

Batman Beyond #1


I have loved the Batman Beyond concept since I first saw the animated series in the late 90's, so when DC began printing further adventures of Terry McGinnis the future Batman I was all over the book. As the years past the Batman Beyond book evolved as more future versions of established DC characters were introduced, along with the original but now older Superman leading the new Justice League. Unfortunately all that came to an end as DC launched their weekly book Futures End which brought Terry into the DCU proper although 5 years into the future from the then current story lines (not confused yet), after given the book a few issues I decided it wasn't for  me and stopped buying it. Jump forward around a year and Batman Beyond is again on the shelf much to my delight, but unfortunately for me Futures End has dramatically changed everything about the book I loved.


There is a new Batman Beyond fighting crime in Neo-Gotham and his name is Tim Drake, now I don't know if its the present universe Tim Drake or the 5 years later Futures End Tim Drake?
Now it looks as if I will have to do some research to do if I am going to find out, what exactly happened to Terry but as you read the book you do find out he died fighting Brother in Eye Futures End (gutted).



As we start the issue Batman is fighting a gang of Jokez who are trying to take down a shield that is protecting  Neo-Gotham from the all seeing Brother Eye, or the not so all seeing Brother Eye if it cant find a city the size of Neo-Gotham shield or no shield. After sorting out the Jokez Tim is off to visit Terry's younger brother Matt, who seems more than a little miffed that Tim has the Bat suit and not him. His annoyance only covers a few panels but its something I'm betting will play out in the months to come, After his visit Tim,s on his way to a Brother Eye prison camp known as The Lodge, the prison has been built on the ruins of New York city (why is it always New York). Tim's reason for going to the Lodge is to try to find some of Terry's friends, who are rumored to be held there as Brother Eye interrogates them for information. While checking out the prison Tim has an encounter with a Brother Eye converted Superman that damages his suit beyond repair (for now), so we see a de-powered Tim join a line of new prisoners and once inside he encounters a familiar face from his past (spoilers).



Now I am torn over this book because Dan Jurgens pens a good opening issue and Bernard Chang does a great job on the artwork, its just that this Batman Beyond insn't my Batman Beyond, I also like the character of Tim Drake but not in his current role. Also this isn't the same time-line as the one I read and watched on TV, Futures End seems to have changed that time line and the grumpy old man in me just inst happy about it.

Having said that I will see out the first story arc to see where it goes before deciding if I will stay with the book or not, the completest in me say you have to stay but my head may rule the collector in me on this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment